When you buy a new car, the dealership usually gives you two keys for your vehicle. One of those keys will become the one you use all the time, while the other becomes your spare. But if you buy a used car, you often will only receive one key. Whether it is because the previous owner lost the key or the key broke, it means you will need to make duplicate car keys in the near future. But why do you need a spare car key in the first place?
Though it may seem economical to just have one car key, having a duplicate can help you avoid worry, time and money. How? The car locksmithing experts at Lockworks Unlimited, Inc. have gathered the top reasons why you need duplicate car keys.
Five Reasons You Need Spare Car Keys
- Multiple Drivers – If you live with a spouse, significant other or family members, more than one person is likely to drive your car. Can you imagine the hassle it would be to pass a single key between two people whenever someone needed to use the vehicle? A spare key prevents this hassle. If someone other than you has to use the car, he or she can use the spare key. Modern cars also store settings like seat adjustments, mirror position and temperature setting in keys. Having separate keys allows you to have settings matched just for you on your key.
- Cost – If you have one key to your vehicle, and you lose it, how will you get into or operate it? Most likely, you’ll have to call a tow and an emergency locksmith. Then you will have to take it to the shop to get your locks and ignition changed. When the shop opens your vehicle to do the necessary work, did they damage it at all? You may have to pay those repair costs. Also, California is one of the most expensive states when it comes to auto mechanic labor rates. In 2019, CarMD estimated California had the highest auto repair labor costs at $154.39 an hour. Imagine the bill after a shop spends hours getting in and then removing every lock on your vehicle.
- Broken Keys – We use our car keys a lot. Most individuals are in and out of their car on a daily basis. That wear and tear can add up, and before long your key could stop working right, or even snap. If you do not have a spare key, then you are in the situation we described above. It is actually very easy and somewhat cost-effective to get a duplicate car key when you have an original to copy. So do not wait until disaster strikes, get you car key duplicated as soon as possible.
- Lost Your Keys – It is an unfortunate fact that people tend to lose things. As a matter of fact, the Wall Street Journal says that the average person loses nine things a day and spends 15 minutes searching for lost items. What if one of those lost items was your car keys? If you lose your keys at home, then it will just take some extra time to find your keys. But if you need to be somewhere soon, you may not have time to search. A spare key can help you get on the road faster if you have easy access to it. If you get locked out of your car while not at home, you can call a friend or family member to bring the key to you. This could save you time, and help you avoid the expense of getting the lock picked or breaking into the car yourself.
- Security – If you are afraid that a thief stole your key, it is important to secure your car as soon as possible. Having a spare key at home can be a lifesaver in this situation. You can call someone to retrieve and bring the key to you so you can move your vehicle to a secure location. Having a duplicate key will also make things easier if you need to have the locks switched.
How Can I Get a Spare Key for My Car?
As you can see, having duplicate car keys is handy in a wide variety of situations. If you need to get a duplicates of your car keys made, we can help. The auto locksmiths at Lockworks Unlimited, Inc. can duplicate car keys, unlock cars, rekey ignitions and more. We operate 24/7 and serve all of San Mateo County, so all you have to do is call our number, (650) 955-4662.