Moving off-campus is an exciting step in your college experience. However, it can also come with additional security and privacy risks. Off-campus safety is extremely important and without college administration overseeing things, you have to step up.
You must find ways to protect yourself from robberies and assaults. Luckily, there are steps you can take to decrease the chances of being a victim of an off-campus crime. And believe it or not, an experienced Redwood City locksmith can help you stay safe when you move off-campus.
Why Do I Need a Locksmith For Off-Campus Safety?
A locksmith isn’t someone most students think to call when they move off-campus. However, it should be. A locksmith can help you add additional security measures to apartments, condos, and other homes. Remember, many students lived in your apartment before you. Chances are there are many keys to your home around town. This can increase the chances of criminal activity at your place.
Here are some of the ways a locksmith can help you stay safe when you move off-campus.
- Re-key the locks before you move in (check with your landlord first)
- Have a peephole installed in the front door
- Install adequate locks on windows and doors
- Add safety bars to sliding glass doors
- Install lighting in dark corners of your yard
Are There More Ways to Keep My Off-Campus Home Safe?
After you call a locksmith, there are other ways you can stay safe. Follow these tips to reduce your chances of becoming a victim of a home invasion, robbery or assault.
- Always lock doors and windows
- Close curtains and blinds
- Hide electronics and valuables
- Check the ID of all repairmen who need to enter your home
- Maintain good lighting at the front and back of the home
- Trim bushes near the home’s entrance
- Do not place extra keys outside your home. Instead, give spare keys only to a trusted neighbor or family member
Contact Our Redwood City Locksmiths
A professional locksmith can help you when you need to move off-campus. While you may not think about the locks on your apartment or home as important, changing the locks and adding additional security measures can keep you safe.
Our skilled locksmiths are always ready and willing to tackle even the most complex jobs. Whether you need to rekey a home or get back into your vehicle again, we are here to help. Our skilled professional locksmithsare available 24/7 for all emergency situations. We have helped Redwood City students, residents, and businesses for nearly 30 years. You can call us at (650) 299-9126 or fill out our confidential contact form for more information.